Travelled without paying?

You need an account or pass to pay for Sydney toll road travel.

Pay a toll notice

Pay a toll notice or search for a toll notice using your licence plate number.

e-TAG and passes compared

Not sure which prepaid option is right for you?

Related help

  • I travelled on a toll road, how do I pay?

    I travelled on a toll road, how do I pay?

    You can buy a Visitor's e-PASS or open an e-TAG account after you've travelled, but there are time limits for doing so.

    For the Visitor's e-PASS, you have 3 days after your first trip to buy a pass.

    For the e-TAG account, you have 7 days after your first trip to open an account.

    If you don't cover your travel in these time frames, a toll notice with payment instructions will be posted to the vehicle's registered owner.

  • Using toll roads in Australia

    Using toll roads in Australia

    Toll roads are roads that you must pay to travel on.

    In Australia, all toll roads are electronically tolled. There are no cash tollbooths. How much you pay generally depends on how far along the road you travel and the class of vehicle you are driving.

    The most convenient and cost-effective way to pay for toll roads is to open an e-TAG account.

    If you're a visitor to Sydney or only need to use toll roads for a short time, you can buy a Visitor's e-PASS.

    If you've travelled on a Sydney toll road, and you don't have an e-TAG account, you can pay for your tolls by buying a Visitor's e-PASS within 3 days or opening an e-TAG account within 7 days of your first trip.

    After 7 days, you will be posted a toll notice, which will include additional administration fees.

  • Using rental vehicles on toll roads

    Using rental vehicles on toll roads

    If you're driving a rental vehicle, please talk with your rental company about how to pay for travel on toll roads.

    Many rental cars come equipped with e-TAG accounts. The rental company may require you to pay for toll fees at the end of your rental.

    If the rental company doesn't have a system for toll payments, let the rental company know how you intend to pay for tolls, or you may end up paying extra fees for toll notices they receive.

    Bring your own Visitor's e-PASS

    Why not buy a pass to use with your rental vehicle? Just register the licence plate number of the rental vehicle to your pass for the period that you'll be travelling.

    M5 Cashback Scheme

    The Cashback Scheme only applies to vehicles registered for private, pensioner or charitable use. Unfortunately, it doesn’t apply rental vehicles.

  • Information for international travellers

    Information for international travellers

    If you recently received a toll notice for travelling on an Australian toll road, it's important that you pay your toll notice to avoid further fees.

    If you feel the toll notice was issued in error, please email us and include the following information:

    • Toll notice number
    • licence plate number
    • your full name
    • date of travel

    and we’ll investigate the matter for you.

    Consider buying a Visitor’s e-PASS the next time you use Australian toll roads.


  • How do I calculate my travel costs?

    How do I calculate my travel costs?

    You can calculate your toll road travel costs using the Roads and Maritime Services Sydney Motorways Toll Calculator.

  • Report an issue with a road

    Report an issue with a road

    For any issues relating to the operation or maintenance of the Cross City Tunnel, Eastern Distributor, Hills M2, Lane Cove Tunnel or Military Road E-Ramp please call us on 13 31 11 or complete the report a maintenance or operational road issue form.

    Issues include noise complaints, vegetation management, maintenance complaints, road conditions, blockages, vehicle damage caused by an accident, requests for CCTV footage or unclear signage.